Friday, August 17, 2007

Post Visit...

I am sitting in the PCV work station (a cool place to sleep, hang out, get fast internet, complete with a guard, fan ice and frozen pizza - not to mention dvds and player.... - and you can do work here- basically I am sitting in mini USA and am loving it)in Parakou right now, waiting with a couple of other stagaires to grab a bus back down to Lokossa. I have to say, I am glad I got to stop here after my post visit for a little break from the whole travel travel thing. It is nice to have seen it for future reference. Oh yeah, the post visit. to start off with, there really is no experience quite like a "bush taxi." You are crammed in a car with at least 8 other people and maybe a goat or duck or something, 18 fulani women,chickens, etc. and travel for hours with no bathroom break (I deffinitely think a kid peed on me to day)And lunch is served now so I may just call it quits for the time being.) But, I'll leave this post with a picture of the back of a CD I saw at my host families. note the english.

2 comments:

Boston, MA said...

Hi Anna,
It sounds like you are having a wide range of interesting experiences in Benin. I read through your entries since arriving, and it seems you have been both fine dining and swarmed by cockroaches. It sounds like you are taking it in stride, though. I am impressed!

The quality of the pictures you posted are also great. The people in your program look nice, and you seem to be getting in some good exercise with your laundry chores.
I spoke to Jenna, and she seems to be doing well in Sweden. The only problem is they won't give her an identification number, or "personummer," and that blocks her access to medical insurance and registration for a Swedish language class. In my opinion, she'll be alright.

I am volunteering at a Puppet Theater in Brookline, coordinating puppet-making workshops for 5-8 year olds. One kid in the audience of a recent performance of Stone Soup raised their hand before the show and asked "Will there be any turnips?" Usually the kids have less vegetable-specific questions, but on the whole I am enjoying the work.

I am still looking for a job, but have a few more solid leads than I did several weeks ago. Finding a job is so much work, I don't think I'll know what to do with myself once I arrive at a company!

If your children ever complain about riding the bus, you can now say ..."When I was younger, we had to ride with ducks and goats and dozens of strangers, so buck up." Just kidding. However, the Bush taxis sound exciting. Hope you get posted somewhere with good sanitation and friendly students.

Cheers,
Caroline

Anna said...

Caroline! Awesome to here from you, dude. Yeah, things are going pretty well here, and I'm cerainly getting to see some different places. Got to go now, though. I have class again in a few minutes, but shoot me an e-mail at some point, k?

Anna